Life Design Fellow
One Year Appointment
The Stanford Life Design Lab has a d.life Fellowship opening, starting Sep 1st, 2018, and running through August 31st, 2019 (AY18-19).
The Stanford Life Design Lab (d.life lab) designs, implements and delivers courses, programs and tools all focused on the strategic goal of applying the innovation principles of design thinking to the wicked problems of designing one's life, education and vocation. The d.life lab broadly serves students from Frosh to post-docs with a special emphasis on undergrads, teaching Designing Your Life, and Designing Your Stanford every quarter, and Graduate programs from an hour to a quarter long through the year.
D.life Fellows support ongoing program and course delivery and help advance a range of strategic initiatives, including our new 1-day intensives, inter-university empowerment, research, and strategic collaboration with multiple on campus partners including BEAM Career Education. A focus of the AY18-19 school year will be increasing on campus impact through building class enrollment, measuring and sharing program outcomes and facilitating on campus partnerships.
Fellowships may be extensible to a second year pending funding renewal (done annually) and candidate fit and interest. Fellows work on a team, collaborating to perform course administration, student group facilitation, and teaching. Fellows also have assignments on project initiatives, selected based upon lab priorities and opportunities, and Fellow interests and skill set. The position is an entry level, salaried position and includes full benefits. Each year’s contract is structured as 1 year Lecturer appointment in the Design Division of the Mechanical Engineering Department.
Candidates should immediately contact d.life lab Managing Director Kathy Davies (email@example.com) with an expression of interest, and apply below with a cover letter / statement of interest, CV / resume and a one minute teaching video. (Videos may be a simple smartphone video of you teaching the lab about something you care about, or a clip from a previous teaching or speaking engagement.)
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in education, psychology or anthropology, teaching and facilitation experience, design thinking training or experience (eg: a d.life class, design boot camp, d.school classes)
- A genuine interest in student formation and experiential learning.
- experience with curriculum design
- experience with monitoring and evaluation
- experience with psychology and sociology research and survey techniques
- experience in online community management
Most of all, we’re looking for someone enthusiastic about design thinking and life design and excited to bring that enthusiasm, energy and engagement to the lab and to Stanford students. We hope that might be you!
Please submit your cover letter, resume and video here.
We are always looking for amazing facilitators to support our students:
Quarter-long commitment, 3 hours once a week for 10 weeks
- ME104S: Designing Your Stanford (Frosh/Soph): Thursdays @ 12:30-3:30p
- ME104B: Designing Your Life (Junior/Senior): Fridays @ 1:30-4:30p
- ENG311B: Designing the Professional (Grad/Postdoc): Wednesdays @ 6:30-9p
- Attend an hour long pre-brief to help set up and prepare for class, include going over lesson plans, and getting set for facilitation of group conversations during class
- As part of class, facilitate a group of 6-8 students to create a generative environment to discuss activities, readings and assignments of the class. Lead small group discussions at your table
- Participate in debrief after class
- Total time commitment over the quarter will be ~32 hours
- Unpaid, though weekly lunch provided
Open to Stanford staff interested in engaging with a class and former students.
Please reach out with the course you would be interested in facilitating for to firstname.lastname@example.org.